Friday, May 16, 2008

Maximization and the supererogatory

Charles Johnson, in a thoughtful Comment to my last post, suggests that the demandingness objection to consequentialism is really about making conceptual room for the supererogatory. And I think that's probably right, but I'm still not convinced by it. I freely concede that maximization can't allow for supererogation at the fundamental level of moral ontology, but I actually see this as something of a feature, not a bug.

I think that supererogation is on a par with virtue and duty--a pervasive feature of a moral landscape that reflects, not a basic moral property, but the intersection of the unqualified (and maximizing) moral 'ought' with the limitations of the imperfect human frame. Virtues are character traits likely to reliably bring about the good; duties arise when maximization is itself a self-defeating approach to the good; and supererogation reflects a complicated mix of factors involving human sociability and fragility.

Our twin needs for self-respect and for the esteem of others--to be able to hold our heads up in public, to echo a concern of Pettit's--require us to differentiate the morally required from both the legally/institutionally required and from the morally desirable. These needs help us place sensible dividing lines between bad and forbidden, good and required; they help us translate this continuous line of valuations into something that can properly guide actions. We need to be able to see our lives as narratives with meaning, and we need to see and by seen by others as more than moral failures. But this no more goes against maximizing consequentialism than Bentham's acknowledgment that only certain bad acts merited legal sanction betrayed utilitarianism.

In short, supererogation has more to do with moral psychology than it does with moral ontology; and that is precisely why the example of Christ on the cross is misleading. As Johnson notes, supererogation makes no sense for an all-powerful, all-knowing being; but a theory like mine wouldn't expect it to.

That said, the original post was a bit of half-assed speculation about just why philosophers take the demandingness objection so seriously--and since Johnson's example suggests a Christian upbringing might encourage one to make room for the supererogatory as a foundational moral property, I suppose it tells against my suggestion.

No comments: