I'd put off reading Mark Greenberg's "The Standard Picture and its Discontents" for an embarrassing reason: I suspected that I would find it extremely challenging and persuasive, and be forced to reorient my thinking about general jurisprudence as a result. And I was right. It is really, really good, and I think hits on exactly what I find frustrating with much of the general jurisprudence literature. I suspect, too, that a rejection of the "standard picture"--something like a command paradigm of law, where authoritative pronouncements directly explain the content of legal norms--may be at the root of my disagreement with constitutional originalism. (And an implicit acceptance of it may be why some of my interlocutors seem so dogmatic from my perspective--Solum's "Semantic Originalism," for example, seems entirely unmotivated from outside the SP.)
That's not to say that I agree with everything in the paper, which after all is merely a draft. I'm dubious about the direction he seems to be pushing his Dependence View in--I think any attempt to have law-on-morality dependence will need to take account of moral disagreement at the ground floor, as it were. But as a critique of the prevailing paradigm, it's nothing short of brilliant.
I found it curious that Greenberg doesn't mention Gerald Postema's work at all--having recently read a few of his papers, especially "Implicit Law," "Melody and Law's Mindfulness of Time," and "Law as Command," it strikes me that they're both hitting on the same point.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment